Tuesday, May 17, 2011

Drop Dead Diva

At first this show slightly annoyed me. Some of the usual "fat girl habits" that the main character has in the show to me at least seemed a bit over-dramatic and really pushed the whole stereotypical view of obese people. However I like the actress that plays the main character so I have still been watching the first season on Netflix here and there.

Finally this show gave me something aside from the awesome actress that plays Jane Bingum. I was watching Episode 9: The Dress. In this episode Jane finds a gorgeous dress in a magazine like Vogue and decides since she is a lawyer and makes enough she wants to buy it. When she goes into the clothing store they only carry up to size 10...Jane is a size 16. Have we not all been there?? You see something gorgeous on the rack and search with hope that your size is somewhere in that rack--only to be sorely dissappointed. That is sucky enough!

But what happens to Jane after that really hits home. They ask a store clerk if there is any larger sizes of the dress elsewhere in the store and the clerk rather rudely says "the dress isnt meant for her silhouette" another clerk also suggests she go to one of the bargain outlet type places to find something with an empire waist. When Jane asks "Are you asking me to leave?" the women smirks and says "also have a good day."

OMG I wanted to slap the bitch! Being treated like that is something I think a lot of us could relate to. Maybe I wasn't kicked out of a clothing store before, but I was certainly treated like I was less important than someone else of a smaller size than me. Of course because its a show, ultimately Jane gets the store to realize they are discriminating AND cutting off a big portion of women as most are not size 10 and under. Unfortunately that does not usually happen in real life, does it?

I am so glad I had this surgery but I have realized that I never should have been ashamed of myself regardless of my size. I never should have let anyone else make me feel ashamed of myself. I am making a pact to myself, and to other obese individuals like myself that I will never be ashamed of, or forget the woman I am right now, even when my size is under a 10.

In fact here are some reasons why I am so awesome the way I am right now!
1- I have pretty brown eyes! They look especially sexy with blue and purple eye make up!
2- I am a pretty darn good writer! One day I will have a book published...
3- I am artistic and creative.
4- I can be very comedic and do pretty good impressions of others.
5- I can dance...big or small I can shake my ass!
6- I look awesome with short hair--not everyone can pull that off!
7- Even at a heavier weight I have nice leg muscles
8- I have sexy full lips
9- I am well-known for my big boobs
10- I am caring, loving, and loyal. I am always willing to give people a chance.

So yeah... I am loving me today. Tell me what you love about you! I wanna know!

2 comments:

Sheila said...

LOVE LOVE LOVE DDD! I never watch TV but happened to sit down just as the very first episode premiered (July 2009 I think) and have been hooked ever since. Love Brooke Elliott, she is awesome!

Anonymous said...

Wonderful article! We are linking to this great content on our
website. Keep up the great writing.

My webpage ... bmr calculator to lose weight